Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sparks



I have a vivid picture in my head from when I was child of the sparks flying whenever my father would sharpen a blade of some sort on his grinder. I remember this because I loved the trail of sparks flying and the brief but bright impact they would have on my world. This was the image that came to mind the other day when someone quoted Prov. 27:17,


"Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."



This is a very personal image for me. I love the sharpening that takes place when we get together and share our hearts. Here is the painful truth about sharpening, "it often causes sparks." In order for something made of steel to be given a sharp, clean edge there has to be some force that leaves a lasting impression on that steel.


I often see people run from anything that causes even the slightest spark in their life. The reality is that if we want our lives to have a sharp and distinct edge we must not run from the sparks that come from the sharpening process. Sharpening does not take place without the sparks. So embrace the sparks, they are a part of the process.


Remember, the life of a spark doesn't last long, but the result of that brief, bright light might be an impression that lasts a lifetime if you allow it to sharpen you.


What are the areas of your life that need some sharpening, the areas that some sparks need to fly? Who are the people that you allow to cause sparks in your life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chad, Great post!

THE VINE